Craps Strategies – Three Point Molly

Winning at Craps: Three Steps to 3-Point Molly Mastery

  1. Understand – The 3 Point Molly craps strategy is a conceptual betting system that, when followed, gives players the best statistical odds of winning. It is no guarantee, but rather an assurance that the casino has the lowest possible house edge.
  2. Study – Learn how to apply the three point molly strategy, as described below.
  3. Practice – Familiarize yourself with the execution of the strategy. You can practice for free at most online casinos, where you can shoot dice risk-free (or for real money, if you choose) on your computer or mobile device.

What a Craps Strategy Does for Your Game

The three point molly betting system is referred to by many as the perfect craps strategy. It’s important to understand what this means for your game. It most certainly does not guarantee you will win money. There is no strategy that can do that. What it does do – what every good casino strategy will do – is give you the best odds of winning. The 3 point molly is considered perfect because it represents the absolute highest possible probability of winning, without eliminating the house edge entirely (because that’s impossible). Well, this is not completely true. If you play blackjack and count cards, you can expect a 1% advantage on the house, however typically this edge is unsustainable. We’re only human, after all.

To put it in the most basic terms, this strategy will help you to lose less. Make no mistake, the odds are still in the casino’s favor. They dictate that, in the long term, you will lose more than you win. But compared to any other way of betting, you will lose less in the long term. The main idea behind the 3 Point Molly is to keep wagers relatively low, while increasing payout potential across half the place positions.

All craps strategies are designed for specific player types and bankroll sizes. The 3 Point Molly is for veteran players with experience in taking odds, and a budget-size bankroll equal to approximately 50x the table minimum.

How to Execute 3 Point Molly Craps Strategy

The idea behind this strategy is to start betting with the shooter (Pass Line) on the come out roll, and continue placing Come bets, with max odds, until three separate points have been established. Once this goal is reached, you should have standard wagers, with max odds, on three different numbers.

At this point, you should stop betting unless:

  1. You crap out. If a 7 rolls, all bets are lost. Start the strategy over.
  2. One of your bets wins. Set a new bet on the next point with max odds.

That’s the short explanation, suitable for true veterans of the game. If that wasn’t enough information to set you running off to the nearest craps table, here’s the long-form, step-by-step interpretation of the 3-point betting system.

Step 1: Bet the Pass Line

Before the shooter’s come out roll, place one bet unit on the Pass Line. If the first roll is a 7 or 11, you win even money. Good job! Take the cash and place the bet again. If the roll is 2, 3 or 12, you lose. Boo! Give the shooter a dirty look, then place another Pass Line bet.

If/When anything else is rolled, proceed to…

Step 2: Bet Max Odds on the Point

This first rolled number (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10) is the Point. Your Pass Line bet will stay where it is, and you’ll take maximum odds on the point by placing 3, 4 or 5 units (whatever the max is) just below your Pass Line wager.

Note: Maximum odds are 3x on 4 and 10, 4x on 5 and 9, and 5x on 6 and 8.

Step 3: Place Another Pass Line Bet

With your first Point set and wagered at max odds, it’s time to seek out a second point. Again, place one bet unit on the Pass Line. If the next number to roll is a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10 (but not the original Point), your Pass bet transitions to a Come bet, moving to the rolled number in the Place position. This becomes your second Point.

Step 4: Bet Max Odds on 2nd Point

Place the appropriate number of bet units (max odds for the Point) in the Come section and tell the dealer you’d like max odds on the number that just rolled. He’ll place your odds bet on top of your Come bet (now setting in the Place section), slightly off to one side.

Step 5: Place A Third Pass Line Bet

Once again, you’ll place a bet unit on the Pass Line. The next number to roll (4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10, but not your first or second Points) will become your third Point.

Step 6: Bet Max Odds on 3rd Point

See Step 4 above – rinse and repeat.

Once Your Three Point Molly is set…

Craps Strategies – Three Point Molly

The image above shows an example of a perfectly executed 3 Point Molly craps strategy. The bettor has $5 on the Pass Line with 5x Odds ($25) on the point (6), a second bet ($5) with 3x odds ($15) on 4, and a third bet ($5) with 5x odds ($25) on 8.

If you make it this far without one of your points hitting, sit tight and don’t place any more bets. Watch those numbers roll, and hope one of your points hits. If it does, you make a nice chunk of change, then repeat Steps 5 and 6 to reestablish a third point.

Keep doing this until. eventually, the shooter will crap out with a 7. When this happens, all your bets are lost. This can really hurt if none of your points hit before the shooter rolls a 7. But your odds of winning will be as good as they can get, and you’ll have enough action on the table to keep the entertainment at a high tempo.

Practice for Free – Bet on Mastery

Every good casino strategy takes practice, but there’s no reason to put your hard-earned money on the line before you get the hang of it. Log onto your favorite online casino – we like Royal Vegas, but the choice is yours – and choose to play for fun. Then head to the craps tables and practice, practice, practice! You’re only betting with faux casino chips, not real money, so there’s no risk involved.

Not only will you be familiarizing yourself with this craps three point molly strategy, but you’ll also get a real impression of just how effective it is. Maybe you decide it’s the most entertaining way to gamble with a perfect strategy. Or, maybe you decide craps just isn’t your game. Either way, it’s a good lesson learned, at no initial cost to your bankroll.

Thirsty for more? Learn about these other craps betting systems and strategies:

3 Point Molly vs Iron Cross – Which is Best ?

The Iron Cross Craps Strategy : Simplicity at its bets!

The Iron Cross is a strategic betting system in which players can easily cover every possible number (except the 7) with four small bets. If any number hits (except the 7), a profit is made. The danger in the system is, of course, the rolling of a 7.

Here’s how it works. For ease of explanation, we’ll assume the table minimum is $5, and place all minimum bets. Note that the Place 6 and 8 wagers pay 7:6, therefore we must place these bets in increments of 6 (i.e. $6).

  1. Wait for the shooter to establish a point.
  2. Place the following four bets:
    • $5 Field Bet
    • $5 Place Bet on 5
    • $6 Place Bets on 6
    • $6 Place Bets on 8

This image shows what the craps table should look like with your Iron Cross bets in place.

Craps Strategies – The Iron Cross

Now, if the shooter rolls anything but a 7, all other numbers will generate a profit. The best numbers to roll are those in the Field section, since Place Bets remain on the table until they win, or the shooter craps out (rolls a 7). If a Place Bet wins, the Field Bet will lose, but not as much as the Place Bet wins. You’ll need to replace the Field bet before the next roll.

All things considered, here’s the net win (total win minus loss) you can expect when the shooter rolls any number you bet on.

  • 2 wins $10
  • 3, 4, 9, 10 or 11 wins $5
  • 5 wins $1
  • 6 or 8 wins $1
  • 12 wins $15

Rolling a 7, of course, wipes the board clean of all your bets, costing you $22. When this happens, wait for another point to be established, then replace the Iron Cross.

What Are the Odds?

Mathematically speaking, the odds of rolling any 7 are 16.67%. That leaves an 83.33% chance of rolling a profitable number. In this regard, the Iron Cross strategy looks quite tantalizing. However, let’s remember that rolling a 7 means losing the entire $22 bet in one fell swoop. Our 83.33% odds of winning come with a profit of anywhere from $1 to $15, with the $1 win being 8x as likely as a $15 win.

Here’s a quick chart to help explain it all:

3, 4, 9, 10, 1138.89%$5.00$0.00$5.00
6 or 827.78%$7.00-$5.00$2.00

You’ll notice there’s no Total for Win, Loss or Net. That’s because, to find that total, we must multiply the odds by the win/loss rates. In doing so, we get an average win/loss per roll of:

RollAvg Win per RollAvg Loss per RollNet Win/Loss
3, 4, 9, 10, 11$1.94$0.00$1.94
6 or 8$0.56$0.00$0.56

Like all craps strategies, the Iron Cross crap strategy is going to present a negative expectation. However, after crunching all those number, we find that for every $22 Iron Cross bet you place, your negative expectation is only -$0.25. That translates to a house edge of 1.136%. That’s higher than the supposedly lowest house edge bets of 1.41% on Pass Line, and 1.36% on a Don’t Pass.

3 Point Molly Vs Iron Cross Video

So Which is Better ?

Personally I would lean towards the 3 Point Molly as the better strategy, for a few key reasons:

  1. The 3 Point Molly has the potential for bigger wins when points hit during a long shooter roll.
  2. The 3 Point Molly bets are always working, even on the come out roll, which means fewer dry spells between hits.
  3. While both strategies have a high house edge, the Iron Cross includes the field bet which has one of the highest house edges on the craps table.

Does this ring true to you ? Let us know in the comments or send us an email.

Yes, every casino game can be played strategically in some way.

Craps is not like blackjack or video poker, in which mid-game decisions can alter the outcome. Like most casino games, craps strategy is dependent on placing the right bets at the right time.

Some bets have a lower house edge than others. On the come out roll, the lowest edge of 1.24% belongs to the Don’t Pass Line. After a point is established, an Odds bet is best, as it comes with a 0% edge. The worst bet, with the highest edge of 16.70%, belongs to Any 7.

Thus, applying strategy in craps is a matter of knowing what bets have the lowest edge (highest chance of winning) at any given time, and only placing those bets

In craps, the odds of rolling either a 7 or 11 are 2 in 9, or 22.22%.

There are 36 possible combinations on a pair of craps dice. Six of those combinations equal 7, making the odds 1 in 6, or 16.67%. Likewise, 2 possible combinations result in 11, making the odds 1 in 18, or 5.56%. Thus, the odds of rolling either a 7 or 11 are 2 in 9, or 22.22%.

This information is important because a 7 or 11 is an automatic loss of all Pass Line bets on the come out roll. The Pass Line is the most common bet to make at this juncture.

In Short:
  • 7 = 1 in 6, or 16.67%
  • or 8 = 5 in 36, or 13.89%
  • or 9 = 1 in 9, or 11.11%
  • or 10 = 1 in 12, or 8.33%
  • 3 or 11 = 1 in 18, or 5.56%
  • 2 or 12 = 1 in 36, or 2.78%
In Detail:
There are 36 possible sums that can roll on a pair of 6-sided dice. The possible combinations and their odds of appearing on any given toss are as follows:
Odds %
1/36, 2.78%
1+2, 2+1
1/18, 5.56%
1+3, 3+1, 2+2
1/12, 8.33%
1+4, 4+1, 2+3, 3+2
1/9, 11.11%
1+5, 5+1, 2+4, 4+2, 3+3
5/36, 13.89%
1+6, 6+1, 2+5, 5+2, 3+4, 4+3
1/6, 16.67%
2+6, 6+2, 3+5, 5+3, 4+4
5/36, 13.89%
3+6, 6+3, 4+5, 5+4
1/9, 11.11%
4+6, 6+4, 5+5
1/12, 8.33%
5+6, 6+5
1/18, 5.56%
1/36, 2.78%
All Possibilities
1/1, 100%

The Three Point Molly is widely considered to be the best craps strategy.

Generally speaking, the Pass/Don’t Pass Line bets pre-Point, and Come/Don’t Come with Odds post-Point, are the best bets in craps.

However, the Three Point Molly strategy is considered perfect because it takes this concept one step further. It represents the absolute highest possible probability of winning; (without eliminating the house edge entirely, because that’s impossible).

The 2 and 12 are the hardest to roll, appearing the least on craps dice.

With a pair of dice, there is only one possible way to roll a 2, and one way to roll a 12. The 2 requires a perfect combination of 1+1. The 12 requires an equally perfect pair of 6+6. since there are a total of 36 possible outcomes, the 2 and 12 each have a 1 in 36 (2.78%) chance of rolling.

The next hardest roll is a 3 or 11, which have two possible ways to roll each. The 3 can roll as 1+2 or 2+1; the 11 rolls as 5+6 or 6+5. thus, they are each twice as likely (1 in 18, or 5.56%) to appear as a 2 or 12. The odds of 2 or 12 are even more profound compared to the ease of a 7, which is six times more likely to roll at 1 in 6, or 16.67% odds.

7 is the most frequent number rolled in craps (16.67%), followed by 6 and 8 (13.89% each).

There are exactly 36 possible ways to roll a pair of dice. Among them, a 7 is the most likely to appear, having six possible ways to roll. That means there is a 1 in 6, or 16.67% chance, of rolling a 7.

Six Ways to Roll 7: 1+6, 6+1, 2+5, 5+2, 3+4, 4+3

The next most common rolls are 6 and 8. There are five ways to roll a 6 (5 in 36, 13.89%) and five ways to roll an 8 (5 in 6, 13.89%). They are:

Five Ways to Roll 6: 1+5, 5+1, 2+4, 4+2, 3+3

Five Ways to Roll 8: 2+6, 6+2, 3+5, 5+3, 4+4

While the 7 is the most common number, comparably speaking, it’s only 1.2x more likely to roll than a 6 or an 8.

Three Point Molly is a magnification of basic strategy, producing the absolute lowest house edge by combining specific wagers across multiple rolls.

The Three Point Molly craps strategy is considered the perfect craps strategy because it builds upon the basic Pass/Come/Odds strategy, stretching it across three points. In doing so, the house edge is dropped to the bare minimum, giving players the absolute highest probability of winning more money than they lose.

When we say “perfect“, it does not mean that the player will have truly fair 50/50 odds to win, much less guaranteeing a profit. No strategy can achieve that level of perfection. It simply means the player’s odds are as good as they can possibly be, based on true mathematical statistics and probabilities. Simply put, 3 Point Molly is as good as it gets


  • Dana Nikolic

    Dana Nikolic is a veteran iGaming expert with over 10 years of experience testing and reviewing online casinos. She has written for publications such as Huffpost, Thrive Global , Newsbreak and Medium. She takes a meticulous approach to evaluating gaming sites, assessing critical factors like game variety, bonuses, customer support and withdrawal speeds. Leveraging her insider knowledge, Dana provides discerning casino reviews that highlight the top performers in the industry. She knows how to identify casinos that offer an exceptional overall experience. Dana also uncovers the best deals and bonuses to maximize player value. With a decade reviewing sites, she has stringent criteria for picking casinos that provide the most rewarding entertainment. More information about Dana on our about us page.

    View all posts