Blame Jules Verne. Ever since the 19th century French novelist and acknowledged “Father of Science Fiction” began writing about trips to the moon, people have been enthralled with the idea of travel outside the Earth’s atmosphere, whether it’s a voyage into outer space aboard a manmade rocket or an encounter with galaxy-hopping extraterrestrials here on terra firma.
So nobody can blame game makers for wanting to capitalize on human interest by providing a huge array of astronomical and space themed slot machines, including the following eight, which are among the very best.
- Little Green Men – One of the classics in this genre is IGT’s durable 5-reel, 20-payline game, which dressed up the traditional fruit symbols as planets and moons, added a three-headed alien and some flying saucers, and created a couple of interactive sci-fi bonus rounds: Alien Abduction and Alien Attack. Saving the Earth from destruction has never been so much fun. This game spawned a number of clones, including IGT’s “Little Green Men Jr.” and “LGM – Family Reunion.”
- Alien™ – Speaking of the denizens of outer space, none instills more fear and dread than the lethal insect-like one introduced by director Ridley Scott in his 1979 blockbuster film “Alien.” Apparently unafraid of violent death, IGT made the creepy creature into a 5-reel, 20-payline slot machine, complete with scary features like the Alien Egg Bonus and the Alien Hunt Bonus with up to six rounds of weapon-firing action. Just remember, “In space no one can hear you scream.”
- Star Wars™ – More than a slot machine, this theme has become a franchise for IGT, not unlike Stephen Spielberg’s six-part cinema saga upon which it is based. There’s now a line up of five video reel games populating casino floors, ranging from the original 5-reel, 30-payline “Star Wars: Dark Side” to four new editions: Empire Strikes Back, Droid Hunt, Duel on Mustafar and Jabba’s Palace. May the force be with you as you play.
- Star Trek™ – This IGT slot has boldly gone where no slot had gone before, bringing the thrill of home video role-playing games to casino gaming floors. It features not only the capacity for remembering usernames made up by players, but also a series of proficiency levels that unlock evermore exciting bonus options. There are two separate screens and audio so powerful that the player’s seat shakes when the game goes into a “Warp Drive” bonus. Players earn promotions within “Star Fleet,” from Ensign to Captain to Admiral, as they score victories and continue to invest more in the game.
- Outta This World – This rather traditional 5-reel, 20-payline slot machine offers Spaceships, Planets, Expanding Alien Wilds and other space-themed symbols, plus a progressive jackpot. Scattered Black Holes trigger a free spins bonus game capable of sucking in some truly big line wins.
- Space Attack – Bally Technologies 5-reel, 30-payline slot machine blasts off with a bonus game that resembles good old “Space Invaders.” Missiles fire from the reels during free spins mode to destroy invading UFOs that appear in the second screen at the top of the console. When a full column of UFOs has been destroyed, the reel beneath it turns Wild for the remainder of the spins. Huge wins are possible.
- Space for Rent – Anyone who remembers the “Jetsons” cartoon show will do a double take upon seeing this 5-reel, 20-payline slot machine. The characters on the reels have that same “futuristic” quality, as they travel the universe is search of real estate. The bonus feature offers free spins plus a “For Sale Sign” bonus.
- Monopoly Planet Go – If Mr. Monopoly wants to go to outer space, why not? Like Sir Charles Branson, he can afford it. And so can WMS Gaming, who developed this five-reel mission to send the old billionaire and Scotty the Dog through “an astonishing universe in glorious 3D with over a dozen Bonus destinations.” Here’s an opportunity to discover galaxies full of prizes and explore new celestial bodies, such as Planet Marvin Gardens.
- When Pigs Fly: Created by Net Ent, this slot was released in 2016. Like all Net Ent slots, it introduced great graphics and a unique setup. The reels begin small, but every time you win, they expand. If you keep wining, then they keep expanding, and eventually you’ll enter the free spins round. This is a game that rewards successive victories with huge victories, but doesn’t pay much for those one-off wins.